Wednesday 17 October 2007

Kylie Minogue

So if, as is so often posited, identity in the 21st century is simply made up by what we consume. Increasingly we'll ascribe aspects of ourselves to various products. Cultural symbols appear on an almost instantaneous and unavoidable level. We learn to decipher these tacitly and from this take the parts that mean the most to us, consume/purchase/love/download/wear/see whatever it may be. This is what makes us who we are in 2007.

If thats how you see it then I am Kylie. I love her. I admire her. I dance to her songs. I own her calendar. I watch her videos. I'll buy her album.

Does that make me Kylie?

Kylie Minogue's new single ' 2 Hearts' - Music Video

Add to My Profile More Videos

DAMN! No. It doesn't. So would appear.

Bloody rubbish abstract theories of consumption cultures. What is the point if you can't misconstrew them and believe you are Kylie Minogue?!

The video is nice to look at though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.

Steph Mulrine said...

Paul, my best friend, everyone.

He is academically challenged and instead quotes Fight Club.

Anonymous said...

Kylie wore such a beautiful dress the other day, the one with plenty sparkle, I am unsure what event it was but she sure looked amazing. The crappest things happen to the greatest of people, Its nice to see her back on track :)