Tuesday 8 January 2008

Tracks that I have announced as being the single most important track of the year

Yes, there are several. They are not, however, to be confused with the general Tracks of the Year type of thing. No, these tracks are ones that for whatever reason, upon hearing, I announced them to be the single most defining and important track of 2007.

“TRACK OF THE YEAR!”
“What?!”
“Track of the year.”
(pause)
“This is the track of the year.”
“What about the others that you said were track of the year?”
“Errrr… shurrup!”
(general threat of violence)
“There have only been two others, so… this is like track of this third of the year.”
“Whatever Steph.”

First 3rd of the Year



Cut Copy - Hearts On Fire [via YouSendIt for 7 days]

Always slightly in love with Cut Copy and so was very excited when this floated up into musical landscape. Upon hearing it for the first time I think I immediately messaged or called my boyfriend to probably tell him I’d just heard the track of the year. Not that he’d of taken me seriously.

It actually made me believe that there was hope for the-blight-of-the-really-good-debut-album syndrome. Shame I’m still waiting for the follow up to be leaked. Not long now.

My adoration for this song knows no limits. I even enjoy the sax solo, which is rare, as being a saxophonist myself the sound usually makes me cringe. Somehow it’s been utilised perfectly in this song.

Second 3rd of the Year



LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends [via YouSendIt for 7 days]

The “consensus choice” as Mr Morton once described to me. Indeed, he was spot on with that phrase. But absolutely everyone can see why.

That ear-tickling piano accompaniment that carries you through the sheer delights of this song never ceases to break me into shivers every time I hear it opening. Flickers and pops of static that echo through your mind leaving it hollow for the sole purpose of letting this sound, song, voice, lyrics and feeling reverberate the walls of your mind.

The gravity of this song is incredibly personal. A song that becomes entangled in hurt, trauma and heartbreak. The situation transcends the song and ultimately you berate it for ruining a perfect piece of music.

Third 3rd of the Year



Dan Deacon - Wham City [via YouSendIt for 7 days]

Wham City is a track that is split into two parts. Each part as equally wonderful. It really all just depends what sort of mood you are in as to which you’ll prefer at any given time. But as a whole its brilliance.

The joy, magic and wild, confused story-telling that is captured in Wham City will send you to a frenzied child-like tantrum state. Flailing arms, shouted singing, quite possibly running in circles.

After posting this track on Pop Cultureddd a while back Wham City became one of those songs I listened to on repeat. I forced those I loved, and wanted to love this track, to listen to it. I sent it to friends and waited with bated breath that they’d feel the same passion for it that I did. And I must admit. Everyone loved it.

No comments: