Friday 18 January 2008

A rock..

And the inevitable hard place..

Respected for years. In fact, 'respect' isn't probably a good enough reflection. Full of adoration and admiration is probably closer. Giddy excitement for an ounce of praise. Humbled to be spoken to in such a way.

So how to take the shattering of plans and dreams by one person? Loaded with wholly scary, but accurate observations. Sticking by my ideas. What I want. Without a care for what institution it relfects badly on. But then, it really is more than just that.

What happens if life experience and a keen eye spots the crumbling of a dream long before the ego-centric youth? If you are too late you've ruined it all.

But what if all it takes is the sheer determination that you've never seen the likes of in anyone else? If you make it happen then surely you'll have so much more to be proud of.

Like you do now.

Fear and trembling.

FUCK!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you can stick to what you believe in, during times of need, keep at it. if it's more a case of dropping your own ideals for the ideals of others...

good luck with everything.

Campfires and Battlefields said...

This is from Wallace Stegner, and sometimes it helps me when I find myself at a crossroads: “Ambition is a path, not a destination, and it is essentially the same path for everybody. No matter what the goal is, the path leads through ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’ regions of motivation,
hard work, persistence, stubbornness and resilience under disappointment. Unconsidered,
merely indulged, ambition becomes a vice; it can turn a man into a machine that knows nothing but how to run. Considered, it can be something else — a pathway to the stars, maybe.” Don't be discouraged.

Steph Mulrine said...

miles away: Thanks. One of those things I suppose. Hit me hard. Still not sure now. I just know that I want to make the most of what I've got to offer.

C&B: A very nice passage. I think ambition can be ever dangerous. I like to think that I put a lot of thought into the paths I choose. And I kind of thought my 'plan' was pretty good. Admirable. Shows what I know, eh?

Colin said...

i know it isn't much of a comment or anything but i did want to say that at times like these i usually find albums by either this mortal coil or his name is alive help.

quite a lot, in fact.

xx

Steph Mulrine said...

Thank you, Colin.

I shall definately have a peruse.

Wandering round Middlesbrough centre yesterday was fairly depressing when I realised that all this place has to offer me is retail. I'm scared.