Monday 10 September 2007

M.I.A.



It's probably well late to be commenting. You know months down the line. But I absolutely bloody adore the most recent M.I.A. album. Indulging in this has been something quite brilliant to be honest. Many tracks I had stumbled across before hearing the album. And due to those La Grève Générale boys that I am so affectionate of I was already singing Bird Flu rather frequently.

But turning my ears to Kala, M.I.A.'s 2007 musical gem, has been horizon expanding even for myself. Always partial to, well, a bit of everything, this album certainly satisfies a part of me that had been feeling decidedly underwhelmed of late. Pushing the boundries of everything that sits nicely within a genre, M.I.A. might as well be spitting in the face of musicians all over the world. Giving face and much deserved respect to the so many types of music that she journey's through it truly is something that needs to be.. experienced. Even the shy-retiring-folk-lovers need to sit and be open-minded and think about the comfort zones that M.I.A. is getting rid of from the mainstream with this.

She is to be respected.



Here is a little treat.

M.I.A. - XR2 [via zShare]

When you inevitably do enjoy this please go and buy it. Click click.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your point of how M.I.A is pushing the boundries of everything that sits nicely within a genre. Original acts such as M.I.A should be given respect she deserves, indeed, I love open minded people when it comes to music.
Shy-retiring-folk-lovers stuck in there own safe genre need shaking up and to experience the range of acts which are out there.

Well said. Good points and a nice treat. :>

Steph Mulrine said...

I like you Anon.

Anonymous said...

Hey mulrine cheers for the mention! also, if you like MIA, and you've not heard it - check this shit out yo:
http://this.bigstereo.net/2007/08/18/the-twelves/

Steph Mulrine said...

No problem. I love your mixes.

Thank you for the link.